Monday, February 11, 2013

Topps 2013: The Inserts

After the great job that Topps did with its base set, I was also very excited to see what this year's inserts would bring. 2013 is all about "the chase" according to Topps and as I opened my jumbo HTA from my LCS, I did see some insert sets that I would chase, but a few whom I don't feel the pursuit is worth my effort.

Chasing the Dream
The idea behind is good. The checklist is full of young stars, but the design is too digital and takes up too much of the card. The back of the card tells a very brief quip from the player about how he made his dream happen. The Jose Altuve card will go into my player collection and I will hang on to the Stanton and Harper that I pulled and I will look to acquire the Josh Reddick and Jarrod Parker, but the others are up for trade for anyone looking to complete their set.

Chasing the Dream? Not me. All these are available.

Chasing History
I am usually a big fan of cards that feature players chasing milestones in their careers. I usually do my best to get cards featuring 500 HR's, 3,000 hits, 300 wins. This set features some of those milestones, but also ones such as 400 XBH, Team HR mark, and NLDS No Hitter. These are impressive marks to chase, but they but I don't think I need a card to commemorate these marks or in some cases the attempt to achieve these milestones. I actually like the horizontal cards better than the vertical because I think they allow for a better photo. I am chasing the Mattingly and Jeter and am holding on to the A-Rod and the Gehrig cards because they are Yankees, but the others are up for trade.

Chasing History inserts are up for trade.

Cut to the Chase
I will admit these cards are very cool looking. The cut of the cards is unique and I love the design on the bottom with the name of the set and the player's name. The backs provide info on how the player reached a milestone or what a player needs to do to achieve one in the future. Despite the coolness factor, I am passing on this insert set as well. I may try to pick up the Jeter, Sandberg, Braun or Molitior cards, if I can, but they are not a priority. I did pull a Ted Williams, which I may hang onto because it is such a nice card, but if I can get something good in return, I will probably deal it. The other two that I pulled, Matt Cain and Pedroia can be had in a trade.



The Greats
The look of these cards is very nice. I really like the thicker card stock and the simple design is classy, especially for the legends and superstars that make up the checklist. The photos are simple, but really capture the players well.  I was lucky to pull Mariano Rivera and Reggie (in his A's uniform) and will probably try and get the A-Rod, Jeter and Yogi. If I can pull a few more from packs or find a few available here and there, I may go for the set, but it is not a priority or a probability right now.


Calling Card
Another insert card with a very classy deign that has a A&G feel to it. The Calling Card insert set photos have a painting look to them or one of those fancy Instagram filters on them, but whatever it is I really like it.
I also like that it tells us about some of the habits, rituals, or other things that a player is known for. I think this set would look good in a binder, so I am going to "chase" it. I pulled five of them from my box, so I am a third of the way there, if you have any and are looking to complete one of the other sets, let's make a deal.


1972 Minis
They are mini. They feature a cool design from 1972. Need I say more? I pulled 10 from my box and bought a lot of 18 of them on ebay for a good price (4 are duplicates, however), so that puts me almost half way there with them. I will be looking to trade for these also.


There are a few more inserts, but I will cover them in my "hits" post. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I need that Pedroia Cut to the Chase. Wouls you part with it for a 2013 Votto mini and a Gold Stamp Boggs from last years Archives?

    ReplyDelete